RURAL BRYANT, SD, PRESENTS:
A Weekend Recipe
If you are looking for a change from the usual potatoes, rice or pasta to accompany roast meat or chicken, an upside down bread is the answer. Thick slices of Spanish onions are sauteed, layer over a sprinking of brown sugar, and topped with a biscuit-like batter made from scratch. If you are watching the clock, convenient packaged biscuit mix may be used. This is served warm and eaten with a fork.
2 to medium Idaho-Oregon sweet Spanish onions
3 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
Peel and thickly slice onions. Saute in two tbsp. butter until golden and fairly soft. Spread remaining one tbsp. butter in nine-inch round baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange onion slices in baking dish. For topping, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add egg, milk and oil. Batter should be a little thinner than biscuit dough. Spread over top of onions. Bake 35 to 40 minutes in 350 F. oven. Let stand five minutes. Loosen edges and turn out on serving plate. Cut in wedges to serve. Make six servings.
For QUICK ONION UPSIDE DOWN BREAD, use two cups packaged baking mix in place of dry ingredients and proceed as directed above.
1. Do I pray daily for missions?
2. Do I read my Bible everyday?
3. Do I witness each day to someone in my homeland?
4. Does it REALLY CONCERN my heart to see multitudes living in sin...lost...on the road to hell? [Do I actually believe in a hell anymore, or like the general popular culture today do I really believe that good, or nice decent people couldn't possibly go there, even if they don't know Christ as Savior,so why get concerned?--Ed.]
5. Am I looking forward to His second coming...when I shall see face to face those I've won for Christ?
6. Am I seeking new ways to win the lost?
7. Am I concerned about lost souls all over the world...or just in my immediate area?
8. Am I really looking to the Holy Spirit to empower and direct me in my witnessing for Jesus?
9. Do I rejoice in my heart when lost souls walk down the aisles of our churches and are saved? [or does it never happen in my church, that someone is saved, or at least a testimony of recent salvation made known to all, which should be a big red flag something is wrong!--Ed]
10. What am I doing to encourage my friends to witness daily for Jesus...both at home...and in far away lands?
11. If God had no one but me to help win souls...how many would be won???